Wednesday, August 14, 2013

For The Love of Poetry


My students are currently studying the different genres of writing. One of my favorites is poetry. That wasn't always the case. As an undergraduate in college I felt intimidated by it. My professors questioned the class for that perfect answer that only a special few seemed to ever state. It was never me. 

However, as I've gotten older my thoughts on poetry have changed. I realize that everyone can enjoy poetry and there is no perfect interpretation. It is there for us in whatever way we need it to be. 

Hymns are a type of poetry. I love hymns, and I play them almost as a prayer. One of my favorite hymns growing up was, "Let Us Break Bread Together". My favorite line as a child was, "When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun, oh Lord, have mercy on me." As I sung that hymn as a little girl I could almost feel the warmth of the sun on my body, and the awe of God's love and mercy. How small we are in comparison to his greatness- but that he loves us despite our imperfections. 

I want my students to know and feel the power of poetry. To know the power of a song, a hymn, or a sonnet. Poetry can shape who we are as people and enrich our lives. I hope  to bring that understanding of poetry to my students this year. So that they will not only know elements of poetry, but more importantly, how it makes us stronger people. 





1. Let us break bread together on our knees, (on our knees) 
 let us break bread together on our knees. (on our knees) 
 When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun, 
 O Lord, have mercy on me. (on me) 

2. Let us drink wine together on our knees, (on our knees) 
 let us drink wine together on our knees. (on our knees) 
 When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun, 
 O Lord, have mercy on me. (on me) 

[3]. Let us praise God together on our knees, (on our knees) 
 let us praise God together on our knees. (on our knees) 
 When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun, 
 O Lord, have mercy on me. (on me) 

4. Let us praise God together on our knees, (on our knees) 
 let us praise God together on our knees. (on our knees) 
 When I fall on my knees with my face to the rising sun, 
 O Lord, have mercy if you please. (if you please)

No comments: