Monday, September 2, 2013

Overcoming the First-Year Teacher Rollar Coaster

 
Today, I saw the following diagram representing the emotions that a new teacher feels throughout the year. I feel that my own roller coaster would look a bit more like the Goliath, going from tremendous highs to flying straight down, screaming all the way, to flying high again, and so forth.
 
 
 
Personally, I want to demonstrate excellence for my students, and always bring my best every day. In a world full of cynics and critics, I want to stand out to them as an example of what it means to be a positive leader. This isn't always easy, and sometimes it can be hard to know where to turn to make sure inspiration and heart are at the center of all that I do, especially as a new teacher.
 
 
The following are a few things that I do to make sure my attitude stays positive for the upcoming week.
 
1. Sweat It Out- When my mind starts to race, and not every thing is positive, I know it is time to exercise. I sweat it out, until those feelings are gone, no matter how long it takes. I love kickboxing. Just punch those feelings away!
 
2. Watch Inspirational Clips- It can be great to watch inspirational clips of others who had a dream to achieve, but knew it wouldn't always be easy. It can be reassuring to see the struggles of others and how they overcame them.
 
3. Seek out articles to read- There is so much out there for teachers. Read and learn how others stay positive in the classroom.
 
4. Focus on the good- Don't focus on the few difficult students that are giving you fits or said something rude to you. Focus on the kids that believe in what you are doing, and those that are wanting to make a difference in the classroom. Understand that by focusing on the negative students, we give those students control over our moods and ultimately the results we get in the classroom.
 
5. We have control over our feelings: I try to remember that I always have control over my feelings. I can be proactive and make a positive difference, despite negative things that happen whether it be at school or home. It is up to us, as new teachers, to reach out, and get help if needed.
 
 
 
Clips that I enjoyed watching today, as I prepare for a new week! Champion Teachers stay positive! We can do it!!
                                                Rita Pierson: Every kid needs a champion
 
 
Million Dollar Baby
 
 

                                                         http://youtu.be/QcVjKAKRpDw
 
 
 



No comments: