Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Teachers: Why Blog?


Every week I ask myself, "Why do I blog?" I hold several conflicting feelings about it, positive and negative. Often, blogging makes me feel a bit naked and exposed. I will reference one of my favorite movies here... remember that scene in the movie, Sleepless in Seattle, when Meg Ryan says, "Do you know that dream when you're walking down the street naked, and everyone is looking at you?" Well, that is how I feel sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9pY8EWE06o&feature=share&list=PLB6FE1B06DFB62BA6


But, then I also think about my purposes as a writer, and who the audience should be first and foremost.

Stephen King, one of the most iconic American writers of our time suggests that writers should write for themselves first.

King suggests....
1. First write for yourself, and then worry about the audience. “When you write a story, you’re telling yourself the story. When you rewrite, your main job is taking out all the things that are not the story. Your stuff starts out being just for you, but then it goes out.”
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/stephen-kings-top-20-rules-for-writers/

So, with that in mind, the question still lingers, "Why do I blog?"

Teaching is an isolating experience in many ways. While in school, student teachers are made to work together in group projects, and collaborating is the norm. Students are forced to reflect on their work and turn those reflections in to their mentors where a dialogue takes place. That is not a requirement in the actual teaching field. Now, I'm not saying that it should be, but if you are very passionate about teaching, and like to share discoveries and research, it can be a tough transition from student teacher to teacher.

Blogging can save you from that isolation, because you are able to reach a wider audience. I can communicate with educators that are like minded, and passionate.

Blogging can also lead to further publications of your work. Recently, I was published in the Nerdy Book Club.
Check it out at:
http://nerdybookclub.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/reaching-the-reluctant-reader-by-laura-farmer/

The greatest advantage to being published was not that it increased traffic to my blog, or the glory of saying that I was published. The glory I found was that the publication helped me to begin conversations with more like minded educators. I didn't feel alone. I was apart of a wider community.

So, I'd recommend giving blogging a try, even for those introverts like me. You'll be surprised by how much you grow!

“You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So... get on your way!”
Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

No comments: