Friday, February 1, 2013

First Year Teachers: You Gotta Get Up and Try.. Try.. Try..


The title of this post references a song lyric by Pink. I enjoy her music, and most transmit a positive message despite some bad language. The song,"Try" demonstrates how I feel almost daily as a first year teacher.

Where there is a desire
There is gonna be a flame
Where there is a flame
Someone's bound to get burned
but just because it burns
Doesn't mean you're gonna die
You've gotta get up and try try try
Gotta get up and try try try
You gotta get up and try try try

Burning inside of me is a strong desire to be a master teacher. Master of content, master of classroom management, master of finding that perfect balance between teacher and mentor. Managing all these elements seems an overwhelming task at times for a first year teacher. I have to take each day as it comes, and meet each new challenge head on.

Furthermore, with this strong desire comes the inevitability of getting burned. It may be from a lesson, that although looked great on paper, fails miserably in the classroom. Or a student, despite being remediated daily, suddenly stops coming to school and is removed from the classroom because of discipline problems. It may be a surprise visit from an administrator that sends you reeling because try as you might to demonstrate your best, you know your flaws are screaming out as loud as thunder in the classroom.

Many times, these trials as a first year teacher can make me feel overwhelmed or leave me wondering, "What am I doing wrong?" However, I believe all new teachers must remember, "Just because it burns...doesn't mean your gonna die. You gotta get up and try.. try.. try. You gotta get up and try.. try.. try."

So, thank you, Pink, for helping me to remember that despite stumbling blocks I must try everyday to be the master teacher that I want to be in the classroom. I just gotta get up and try...try...try.

                                                          http://youtu.be/pPtlSF4TlJE

No comments: