Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Christian Educators: How Can You Make A Difference Today?



This is a post for Christian educators who may need a little bit of inspiration. This past Sunday, I heard a very inspiring message. It really made me think about what kind of difference I am making and hope to make in the lives of others, not just my students, but my family and friends as well.

I am posting an outline of the message, because honestly, I want to remember it for myself. I hope anyone reading this post may grow from it as well.

The sermon was entitled, "Are You, Or Are You Ain't....A Saint" (The pastor apologized to any English teachers in the audience!)

This sermon was in honor of All Saints Sunday, a day where the church remembers with gratitude all those who passed on in the previous year. It has almost been a year since my own grandmother's passing, and I must say that I believe she embodied many of the following attributes.

So what who is considered a saint?

I. Saints are people who know they are called.
  • "To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints." ~Romans 1:7
II. Saints are people who have assurance of their salvation.
  • "To those who have been called, who are loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ...I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share...that once for all entrusted to the saints." ~Jude 1:1,3
III. Saints are those that stand up for their faith.
  • "I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once and for all entrusted to the saints."
IV. Saints know and are known by their love.
  • "And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." ~Ephesians 3:17b-19
V. Saints live a life pleasing to God.
  • And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way; bearing fruit in every good work...giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints." ~ Colossians 1: 10-12
VI. Saints never stop growing in their faith.
  • "To all the saints in Phillippi...And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ." ~ Phillippians 1: 9-10
The message ended with the idea that as members of Christ's body we are already saints. It is not some high calling for only a few. However, we should all step outside of ourselves, and help others. So many people need a saint in their lives today. How can you be a saint for someone today?

No comments: