Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Making Myself Clear....

Yesterday, I received a very nasty comment on a particular post from an "anonymous" blogger. It was actually quite horrifying to me, so I quickly removed my blog site.

Now, I have no idea why that happened, but it led me to reflect on a few things about myself as an educator.

First, yes, I am passionate about my ideas and desire for change: I would never want to offend an educator who has spent years in the field. The hard work and dedication exhibited by so many teachers leaves me in awe, and I myself was unsure that I had what it took for many years. On the other hand, I am here now. I did make it. And as such, I want to be the teacher to others that I never had in my adolescent years.

Secondly, I want to encourage and be a voice for other teachers who want to make it in education: It is not easy to become a teacher. The news is always screaming for better educators- educators who want to make a difference, but then they make it almost impossible to get certified. There are so many hoops to jump through. It is hard enough as a eighteen year old, but nearly impossible for a thirty something. It took great sacrifice on the part of my family. As a result, I want to be the mentor teacher that I never had during my graduate program. I want to take the time, and show budding teachers that-yes, it's difficult-but you can do it--you can be a teacher of excellence!

Thirdly, I do have an expectation of excellence: I learned this from the school of hard knocks. There have been times in my life when I demonstrated work that was less than excellent. I was just going through the motions. Then, one day a dear friend knocked me in the teeth--figuratively speaking--and woke me up. Although, upset at the time, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Sometimes, we all need a little kick to remind us, "Hey, get in the game or get out."

Finally, my hope is that any educator reading this blog knows that I am open to ideas of others. That I do believe that we are all apart of this educational journey together, and that most of us are doing our best with the gifts that we are given.









No comments: